Friday, June 15, 2007

What a week…

Travelling in the U.S. this month I have had the following technical “issues”…

  • My homesite was hijacked by a spam site causing me no shortage of alarm and scrambling to get it back up and secured.
  • My primary workstation laptop was completely hosed by a virus (thankfully I had backups and didn’t lose any data). And this despite me having four different programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware, firewall, etc.) to keep this from happening. Sometimes the bear eats you, ya know? I couldn’t do a system re-install because I didn’t bring the recovery discs with me. (dumb, i know). So the old laptop is down for the count. I needed a way to get work done since life doesn’t wait for the technically challenged, so I upgraded my computing a little earlier than planned. I’ve been getting this new laptop all set up to do work- all while borrowing wi-fi hotspots, friends and family’s internet connections. Starbucks has been a lifesaver so far. Fun!
  • My digital video camera bit the dust after 6 years- just as I was trying to make this month’s VTS video.
When it rains it pours, eh? heh. But the sunny side is this: if i had to replace a camera and a laptop in Brazil I would have spent 3x the money. Technology and electronics is expensive there. So I just upgraded some things before I planned on it. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches and smile.

No comments: