Thursday, October 02, 2008

APT Student Animation: Anand Kumar

Anand Kumar is one of my favorite APT students. Anand has been in my APT twice, both times focusing on learning more extreme cartoon animation style. The first time was definitely a learning process as he broke out of his comfort zones as a Cg animator. During his second class I could really see that he was "getting it". He was beginning to think like a cartoon animator.

Here is a nice sample of what Anand was doing before this latest APT class...



Not bad. There's some nice stuff going on. It's a little lacking in some technical polish, but overall it's pretty solid. However it doesn't stand out- I don't think it's unfair to say that it's pretty typical of most CG scenes you see.

Now here are two scenes that he recently completed in APT. First an acting scene...


And now a more 'technical' motion exercise...

Now that's a different way to go. I really like seeing this style being explored in CG. It's been a lot of fun teaching this stuff. I grew up watching cartoons- it's what made me want to be an animator in the first place. Not surprisingly Anand felt the same way. He wrote me...
I will be doing more of this stuff :-) its fun and challenging to do.  ... This APT has really been an eye opener for me . ... I wanna do moreeeeee... :-)
So congrats to Anand for a job well done. I'm sure he's only going to get better and better at this sort of thing.

9 comments:

Josh Bowman said...

Wowzers! That first cartoony piece is really good, it's great to see such a well done piece of cartoony motion and acting with the right use of subtle overlap and weight and just the right moments to keep the character feeling like he's physically present on screen.

Shows me I have so much more to learn (duh!) even though I've been working as an animator for 3 years.

If I remember correctly, in the old days at Disney, one would have to do cleanup or inbetweening for 4 or 5 years before they were skilled enough to become an animator.

sunny kharbanda said...

Great stuff! I love the second cartoon exercise. I want to animate such stuff some day... too bad I can't afford any more APT sessions!

Anonymous said...

That was some really impressive stuff. Makes me wanna catch up :)

Jais Bredsted said...

Looks stunning. Cant wait to join ATP 8

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Awesome keith. i'd been working with Anand for almost 6 months in same project. i can definitely see his works have improved a lot! a lot means a LOT in capitals. love the cartoonic approach. actually we both we planning to do ATP but i had to back off due to some financial issues. Looking at this works just make me wanna do it for any cost now. great job keith. as always u'r a very good teacher with a deep insight to animation as an art. love that approach of urs which made me, and i'm sure many others too, think less CG and graphs but more acting . great job. 3 cheers!! to the teacher and the student :)

bala said...

woohoo! Awesome going anand! congrats and great mentoring keith! i definitely wanna subscribe to APT sometime soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow!I like a lot that cartoony-acting piece you had improved a lot..I wish I could get quickly inside atp..looks great all what Keith is helping..keep the good work

Mahesh Bisht said...

ya gr8 stuff...Anand..!!